We are available to help all Aboriginal people living in the southern Vancouver Island, or those accessing health services of the Vancouver Island Health Authority - South Island.
Aboriginal Health Outreach WorkersWe Can Help With:
- Access health services that you need to improve or maintain your health, or the health of a family member.
- Advocate on your behalf within the health system - doctors, nurses, social workers and other health care professionals.
- Federal non-insured health benefits funding for services, equipment and medications.
- Transportation to appointments for those with mobility issues.
- Information sharing and education on health issues and concerns.
- Advocating for you and your family within the hospital and health care system.
Addictions Counsellor & ElderThis Position Provides:
- One on one counseling for addictions issues.
- Support and referral services.
- Extensive knowledge of the twelve step program by a Namgis Elder.
- Knowledge of the impact and ef fect of Residential School
- Minimal six visits prior to referral to a Residential Treatment Centre
1/2 Time Addictions CounsellorThis Position Provides:
- Ongoing support in all stages of change.
- One on one counseling for addiction issues.
- Setting up appropriate referrals.
Mental Health LiaisonThe Mental Health Liaison is available to all people, in your home or community.
We Can Help With:
- Community awareness on mental health
- Materials for education on mental health
- Referrals to appropriate care pro viders
- Support for you and your family
- Advocacy in dealing with representatives in the mental health system