We are available to help all Aboriginal people living in the southern Vancouver Island, or those accessing health services of the Vancouver Island Health Authority - South Island.
Aboriginal Health Support Workers
We Can Help With:
- Access health services that you need to improve or maintain your health, or the health of a family member.
- Advocate on your behalf within the health system - doctors, nurses, social workers and other health care professionals.
- Assistance accessing Federal non-insured health benefits funding for services, equipment and medications.
- Transportation to appointments for those with mobility issues.
- Information sharing and education on health issues and concerns.
- Advocating for you and your family within the hospital and health care system.
Addictions Counsellors (1.5 Positions)
We can help with:
- One on one counseling for addictions issues - focus on drug and alcohol abuse
- On-going support in all stages of change, including harm reduction, abstinence and early recovery
- Help with developing healthy living skills (boundaries, time management and stress management)
- Information about and referrals to other services that would aid with healing and recovery, such as support groups, other agencies and residential treatment centers
- (Note: Aboriginal Treatment centers require 6 appointments be completed before we can put in a referral).
Mental Health Liaison
The Mental Health Liaison is available to all people, in your home or community.
We Can Help With:
- Community awareness on mental health
- Materials for education on mental health
- Referrals to appropriate resources
- Support for you and your family navigating the mental health system
- Advocacy in dealing with representatives in the mental health system
ABORIGINAL HEALTH SERVICES BROCHURE
Homeless Outreach Worker Program
The Homeless Outreach Program can help individuals and families whom are homeless and offer assistance in the following ways:
- Connect you to community resources
- Tenancy advocacy
- Steps to finding housing
- Housing resources
- Shona C., Team Leader/Mental Health Liaison
- Vanessa R., Health Support Worker
- Roberta B., Homeless Outreach Worker
- Ian G., Homeless Outreach Worker
- Sheahan L., Addictions & Intake Counselor
- Lavatta F., Intake Worker
- Sarah U., Health Support Worker